Monday, March 16, 2009

What to Do, Exactly?

So I spent maybe 35 minutes doing some random Google follows, just to see where different search terms would lead me... "how to make friends" "making new friends" "friends as an adult" etc.

Most people seem to be quite focused on navel-gazing, the "know thyself before you know anyone else" sort of philosophy.

I just want to get right to the how-to stuff. I want to have a party that doesn't suck. I used to be really good at that, it was effortless, but for whatever reason the thought makes me scared now. NEUROSIS, can you say that?

I came across this Canadian guy's site, that's full of Google ads for "panic attacks" and "asperger syndrome" and "how not to be shy" -- I have NEVER been accused of being shy, I've never felt shy. I just don't grasp the actual process of being a friend, and having people be a friend back. It seems so weird!

I know plenty of people who HAVE friends. I just don't know how to "do it".

I wonder if people who are either forever-virgins, or who haven't dated in like 20 years, have this same sort of feeling about sex? "I know I really like it, but I don't remember how to get it..."???

Strange. But honest.

So, what does one DO, exactly, to start building a friendship?

No comments:

Post a Comment